File Your Taxes
VITA provides access to free tax prep to anyone in Lancaster County who makes $62,000 or less. While the pandemic has changed the way we provide free tax prep, we’re still here to help. VITA of Lancaster County has partnered with Get Your Refund for a 100% virtual option for secure tax prep with IRS-certified tax preparers, as well as My Free Taxes and TurboTax to offer a free online option for you to file your tax return.
Ways to File Your Taxes for Free
Free Online Tax Filing Options
We have teamed up with GetYourRefund to help you file your taxes online with the help of IRS-certified volunteers. Choose this option, if you want a contact free tax prep option.
Watch this video to see how easy and secure it is to use GetYourRefund.org
What you will need:
- Computer and/or smartphone
- Access to internet
- Social Security card or ITIN for you and every member of your household
- State ID, driver’s license or passport
- Income tax documents
- If directly depositing your refund: Bank routing and account number
To Complete Your Return:
- Answer required questions regarding your household and finances
- Upload all your tax documents and photo ID
- Complete a phone interview with an IRS-certified tax preparer as they prepare and review your return
- Participate in a review of your tax return for accuracy and completeness and ensure you agree with your results
- Upon completion of the review, you will sign an electronic copy of the return and your tax return will be electronically filed
Depending on the complexity of your return, you should expect your tax return to be completed within 10 days.
United Way’s MyFreeTaxes
United Way’s MyFreeTaxes website is another resource, which provides free access to H&R Block software.
Please note that MyFreeTaxes.com is not a free resource for taxpayers who have business income (including self-employment income, which includes rideshare drivers), capital gains and losses, or income from rental property. Taxpayers who need to file Schedules C, D, or E will be charged on the MyFreeTaxes.com website.
Turbo Taxes Free File program
You qualify for the IRS Free File program delivered by TurboTax if either of the following are true:
- Had an adjusted gross income (AGI) of less than $36,000
- You were Active Duty Military in 2020 with an adjusted gross income (AGI) of $69,000 or less
Be Aware of Scams
Thousands of people have lost millions of dollars and their personal information to tax scams. Scammers use the regular mail, telephone, or email to set up individuals, businesses, payroll and tax professionals. The IRS doesn’t initiate contact with taxpayers by email, text messages or social media channels to request personal or financial information. Recognize the telltale signs of a scam »
In response to the Pandemic, how we deliver VITA’s Free Tax Preparation services has changed.
We will not be offering in person appointments at this time. Instead we would encourage you to consider our contactless option (GetYourRefund) or our other Free File options. We will also be offering limited Drop-off appointments at several locations throughout Lancaster County. These appointments will require you to remain in your vehicle with your mask on and a masked VITA volunteer will meet you are your vehicle to obtain your documents. The documents will then be scanned and returned to you. An IRS-certified volunteer will contact you and complete a phone interview as they prepare and review your return. You will then participate in review of your tax return for accuracy, completeness, and to ensure you agree with your results. You can choose to sign an electronic copy of the return, or schedule a pick up appointment to receive your tax return.
Please be patient, as both your safety and the safety of our volunteers is very important to us. The delivery of VITA service can change based on the pandemic conditions.
Thank you to our generous sponsors: